Wednesday, September 15, 2010

deep water soloing

In Kraby I was jumping off rocks that stuck out into the ocean. As I climbed up onto a ledge that stuck out from the rock, I realized that I must be at least 40-50 feet in the air. I was hesitating to jump because it looked like you would just go splat on the surface of the water but the only way to get down was to jump. So eventually I had to show courage because jumping was the only way to get down and I did not want to be stuck up there for ever and ever and ever. As I jumped I probably was in the air for at least 3 seconds and when I hit the water it felt like putting your hand into a bucket of cold water and leaving it to rise up on its own. The climb to get to that height was not very hard it was at least a 5A which is a ladder basically.

When I jumped it felt like my heart flew up into my mouth and my stomach reached my chest. It was the weirdest feeling in my entire life. After that I was not afraid to jump into the water from 45-50 feet high but it was still scary to do it a second time and even a third time. Each time I did it I went higher and higher so my highest jump was around 55 feet or so and at that height I was hesitant to leap off of the ridge and into the crystal clear water.

That experience was breath-taking but it changed my fear of heights a bit. It changed the bit of jumping into the ocean from a high ridge or ledge it also changed my fear of falling on a ledge that stuck out from the rock a few feet. I still don't like to climb high routs and even high bouldering routs I prefer to climb routs that are under 250 feet of 80-100 m routs I am not the kind of guy that likes to climb an 1,000 foot multi pitch.

My fear of heights is still inside of me but now there is only a little bit of it left.  

4 comments:

  1. You put a lot of detail into this story, which is a very good thing. But you were a bit repetitive in what you said, you talked about you jumping two times. Why not just make one big paragraph about the jump? Aside from that and a few minor spelling and grammatical errors, this is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do what cameron said do one whole story of one jump and make more detailed. but the story itself is really cool I could never JUMP from that height im scared of going on a flying fox 51 feet I know how you feel. very good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your story William and I am glad you were able to get over your fear of heights and jumping. I guess the only way to overcome fears is to face it! Keep at it William,you will get better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it. It was interesting to know how you overcame your fear of heights with each jump but you need to be a little more courageous to overcome that little bit of fear still left. No problem William, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete